keshaperry

Looking for a New Start or a Conversion?

In Uncategorized on April 6, 2010 at 9:01 am

For Mississippi NAACP President Derrick Johnson the Mississippi Senate Bill (SB 2293) or the New Start School Program and Conversion Charter School Act of 2010 is segregation by another name. In an interview with the Jackson Free Press’ Adam Lynch, Johnson said that “Charter schools undermine public education. Anytime you use public resources to provide a quality education for a limited number of children, and the rest of the children are left behind, you undermine public education. At most, under the charter school program, only about 20 to 25 percent of the children are served. What happens to the other 75 percent? We’ve got to get more burglar bars on our houses, and we got to get more burglar alarms on our cars to deal with them, and the kids end up rerouted to the prison system.”

On March 31 the House and Senate have reached agreement and adopted a conference report, to which Governor Barbour intends to sign into law. The Act would allow “a new process for transforming some failing schools into ‘New Start Schools and Conversion Charter Schools’ that use district funding.” Representative Cecil Brown of Jackson said that the charter schools or conversion schools will not compete with other school districts for funding. Brown said that “These schools are not competing for the same money. In fact, one of the reasons we passed the bill we did was because there wouldn’t be any additional money needed. I know Derrick and some of the people have legitimate concerns about this, but I think we’ve addressed most of these concerns.”

Click here to read the remainder of Adam Lynch’s article.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: